Saturday, July 12, 2008

Moving On in Life

What's down the line---

So, after my graduation from the local community college in December, I will need to move on to a four-year institution so I can get a four-year degree. When I move on from Delta, I will have an Associates Degree in Electronic Media Broadcasting, but I still want to get the four-year degree.

I have been doing some investigating of various possibilities and pretty much have narrowed it down to

Central Michigan University
Ferris State University
Full Sail University (Winter Park, Florida)

My parents and I visited Full Sail a few years ago, and I was totally excited about the programs they have. In fact, they offer a degree in Film! However, the cost to going there and staying down there is totally high - the tuition alone is over $60,000 for the program I am interested in. This sure makes the cost of going to Delta a bargain! Anyway, you should check this school out if you are interested in something that is state of the art. They say that Steven Spielberg recruits from there. Their website is amazing as well. Of course, since it is a high-tech university, the website should be amazing. There are scholarships available too, so I may still take a look at that - and being down there right outside of Orlando wouldn't be a bad way to be! Decisions, decisions!

Then, there's CMU--right around the corner from where I am. The main issue with CMU is that they do not accept the courses I have taken at Delta directly into the program. The "articulation" between the schools has yet to be totally established. CMU has a Cinema and Broadcasting program which does look interesting--I'm just not sure if I want to repeat a bunch of classes just because they don't feel Delta's classes cover what theirs do. Decisions, decisions!

When looking at Ferris' program, I really got pumped about what they offer. They have a program called Television and Digital Media Production plus they have a smooth articulation agreement with Delta which all of my classes from Delta fit into perfectly. They also offer a three + one program if someone wants to save a lot of money and go with an extra year at Delta, you can do the Macrao agreement, go three years, transfer to Ferris in the fourth year, and get a four-year degree without paying the "arm and the leg." This is looking pretty good. I see they also have a couple of internship requirements and practicums which is great.

Ferris promotes this Television and Digital Media Production program saying that graduates can get employment in television and digital media production, broadcasting, cable, with major corporations in their audio/video areas, manufacturing facilities, hospitals, professional sports venues, independent production companies, post-production firms, education, and government. This sounds like the best deal to me so far. But, decisions, decisions!

Later - peace!

No comments: